Hello there is a nasty bug in SWTOR that is mostly hitting players who are using the original SWTOR.com launcher, not the Steam launcher, called the “quickplay bug”.
“While you play, the game continues to download. If you finish the starting planet before it completes, you may start a new character and play one of the other 7 class stories. When the download completes, you can access the entire game.”
Here is the official fix for the issue:
As mentioned above, our team is currently looking into it. In the meantime, here are a few potential workarounds which helped other players resolve the issue.
- Launch the game as an admin: Right Click > Run as administrator
- Perform a bitraider repair:
- Open your SW:TOR game folder.
- 32-bit Windows – C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars – The Old Republic\
- 64-bit Windows – C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars – The Old Republic\
- Click on the bitraider folder and press Delete.
- Start the launcher again and log in.
- Wait for the launcher to repair itself and update your game.
- Use the repair tool: SW:TOR launcher troubleshooting guide
- Change the compatibility mode: Desktop Icon > Properties > Compatibility > Run in Compatibility mode: Change from Windows 10 to XP SP 3
Please keep giving us your feedback.
Thank you for your patience while we get this issue resolved.
And here is the video explaining and showing how to Run in Compatibility mode!
Here is an additional fix I’ve seen going around too: